[wpe-webkit] AArch64 builds in AUR

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 03:38:54 PST 2019


Crickets so far ... btw, I'm going skiing for the Weekend so I'll try to
build WPE directly on the Pi.

Everything seems to work fine except ENABLE_ACCELERATED_2D_CANVAS AND
ENABLE_ENCRYPTED_MEDIA are both OFF, while all others are ON.

I am interested specially in the ENABLE_ACCELERATED_2D_CANVAS, why wouldn't
that work?

Also I have another question: is wpebackend preferred over wpebackend-fdo ?
Latter seems for Wayland, which I'm OK with, but not sure it performs any
better than the former.

Thanks again for extra clarifications.

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 2:20 PM Andrea Giammarchi <
andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI all your packages work and build without issues, and I've opened a
> thread in ArchLinuxARM forum.
>
> Let's see what happens there
> https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=13469 👋
>
> On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 4:12 PM Adrian Perez de Castro <aperez at igalia.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 08:59:37 +0100, Andrea Giammarchi <
>> andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Adrián please flag those as usable in AArch64 too, [...]
>>
>> Done, I have pushed an update for the AUR packages “libwpe”, “libwpe-git”,
>> “wpebackend-fdo”, and “wpebackend-fdo-git” — they are directly buildable
>> on
>> AArch64 now (though you could have downloaded the PKGBUILDs and edit them
>> before building already before).
>>
>> > [...] but I'm not sure why you mentioned webkit2gtk is already there.
>>
>> Because if the WebKitGTK package is being built for ARM devices, that
>> means
>> that somehow the Arch Linux ARM developers already have some way of
>> building
>> big packages — and it *has to be possible* to build WPE WebKit as well.
>>
>> > Yes, it is, and it works too, but it's not HW accelerated and it fails
>> > trying to initialize Open GL (it doesn't try GLES, not sure there's a
>> way
>> > to force that).
>>
>> WebKitGTK can use OpenGL ES, if built passing “-DENABLE_GLES2=ON” to
>> CMake.
>> Of course it will still need GTK+, this only switches between using
>> “desktop”
>> OpenGL and OpenGL ES2.
>>
>> > If libwpe and wpebackend are built, are you say webkit2gtk could benefit
>> > specifying a different backend or forcing that backend on Wayland?
>>
>> The WebKit *GTK* port does not use libwpe/wpebackend-* — only the WPE
>> WebKit
>> port needs them.
>>
>> > Anyway, one step at the time. Let's start with those two bricks
>> buildable
>> > on a Pi3. Even if those wouldn't build it's AUR, nothing bad happens ;-)
>> >
>> > As soon as updated, I'll re-confirm everything is fine 👋
>>
>> As written above, you should be able to build “libwpe” and
>> “wpebackend-fdo”
>> from the AUR now.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>
>> -Adrián
>>
>>
>> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 2:53 PM Adrian Perez de Castro <
>> aperez at igalia.com>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > > Hello Andrea,
>> > >
>> > > On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 23:24:56 +0100, Andrea Giammarchi <
>> > > andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > >
>> > > > > While I am quite confident that things *should* work on AArch64
>> > > >
>> > > > libwpe-git builds out of the box but wpewebkit is, indeed
>> non-compilable
>> > > > from the Pi3+
>> > >
>> > > Given that you tried building it already, I could mark “libwpe-git” as
>> > > available for AArch64. Is there any chance that you could also try the
>> > > “libwpe”, “wpebackend-fdo”, and “wpebackend-fdo-git” packages? Those
>> are
>> > > small and should build fine in the Raspberry Pi itself.
>> > >
>> > > As you point out, the main issue will be the “wpebackend-git” and
>> > > “wpebackend” packages. The “webkit2gtk” [1] package is available in
>> > > Arch Linux ARM, so
>> > >
>> > > > > Having packages readily available for Raspbian ...
>> > > >
>> > > > That's the thing, ArchLinux has already everything updated compared
>> to
>> > > > Raspbian, and AUR has, AFAIK, no Raspbian equivalent.
>> > >
>> > > Yes, that is indeed a good thing of Arch Linux in genera: available
>> > > packages
>> > > tend to be quite up to date :-)
>> > >
>> > > > We could have stable on AUR, and dev/test builds still on AUR, as
>> it's
>> > > been
>> > > > the case for most platform that needs actual real tests, not just
>> final
>> > > > stable user-land ready releases (i.e. proton, wine, and friends).
>> > > >
>> > > > > The main issue I see here is that in particular the “wpewebkit”
>> package
>> > > > > would take ages to build on the Raspberry Pi
>> > > >
>> > > > My idea is that it doesn't need to be built on a Pi, and I'm sure
>> there
>> > > is
>> > > > a way to cross-build anything on ArchLinux, 'cause Cairo, GTK and
>> others,
>> > > > are surely not built on a Pi.
>> > > >
>> > > > Maybe we can start a thread in the ArchLinuxARM forum about this,
>> and see
>> > > > what's the outcome?
>> > >
>> > > Probably a good idea. Would you be interested in asking and getting
>> the
>> > > discussion started?
>> > >
>> > > I would greatly appreciate that someone else takes care of leading on
>> that
>> > > front because my plate has already too much on it — I will be more
>> than
>> > > happy
>> > > to help out with doubts there may be (about WebKit, WPE, etc.) and
>> maybe
>> > > helping out a bit on the side with the technical parts.
>> > >
>> > > Regards,
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > -Adrián
>> > >
>> > > ---
>> > > [1] https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/aarch64/webkit2gtk
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > > On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 6:44 PM Adrian Perez de Castro <
>> > > aperez at igalia.com>
>> > > > wrote:
>> > > >
>> > > > > Hello Andrea!
>> > > > >
>> > > > > On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 14:29:59 +0100, Andrea Giammarchi <
>> > > > > andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > > > > > Dear WPE WebKit team,
>> > > > > >
>> > > > > >   I've just recently discovered your project and I'm the author
>> of
>> > > the
>> > > > > > defunct project Benja [1] and also the post about having a
>> > > minimalistic
>> > > > > > WebKitGTK+ kiosk mode on the Raspberry Pi 3.
>> > > > > >
>> > > > > > I've always preferred WebKit on ARM for the simple reason that
>> > > Chromium
>> > > > > > never cared much to be there or, in general, to support Wayland
>> where
>> > > > > > possible.
>> > > > > >
>> > > > > > The reason I am here is Sam Decrock and his recent post on how
>> to
>> > > build
>> > > > > WPE
>> > > > > > for the RPi3 via Buildroot.
>> > > > > >
>> > > > > > You probably know already that AUR contains already libwpe +
>> > > > > > libwpe-git, wpewebkit, and wpebackend-fdo, which I believe is
>> the
>> > > whole
>> > > > > > stack needed to start WPE.
>> > > > >
>> > > > > As a matter of fact, I am pretty much aware of the AUR packages,
>> > > because
>> > > > > I am the one maintaining them :-)
>> > > > >
>> > > > > On top of those three packages (libwpe, wpebackend-fdo, and
>> wpewebkit)
>> > > you
>> > > > > will need an actual “web browser” or, as we prefer to call
>> something
>> > > that
>> > > > > is not a full-fledged browser, a WPE “launcher”. Given that your
>> goal
>> > > is to
>> > > > > have a kiosk mode browser, I would recommend Cog [1] — for which
>> there
>> > > is
>> > > > > a package in the AUR as well [2].
>> > > > >
>> > > > > > However, none of those packages target also aarch64, and on top
>> of
>> > > that,
>> > > > > > none of them is already built for the RPi3.
>> > > > >
>> > > > > The reason why none of the packages are marked as available for
>> > > AArch64 is
>> > > > > simple: lack of testing. Personally I am not particularly
>> comfortable
>> > > to
>> > > > > add
>> > > > > the platform as supported if I have not built and tried the
>> packages
>> > > for a
>> > > > > new architecture. Which is also the reason why there is no
>> > > “wpebackend-rdk”
>> > > > > package yet (my main focus is the “-fdo” backend).
>> > > > >
>> > > > > While I am quite confident that things *should* work on AArch64
>> > > because now
>> > > > > and then I do builds for the Raspberry Pi 3 myself using
>> Buildroot, I
>> > > do
>> > > > > not
>> > > > > have spare time right now to do the same for the AUR packages. If
>> > > anyone
>> > > > > would
>> > > > > be willing to help out building and testing them for AArch64 (or
>> other
>> > > > > architectures), then I would be super happy give some guidance
>> and to
>> > > add
>> > > > > AArch64 as supported.
>> > > > >
>> > > > > > Having a pre built, up-to-date version, of your stack, would
>> make
>> > > > > > prototyping in the most used embedded device a no brainer, and
>> it
>> > > will
>> > > > > also
>> > > > > > help projects being updates, without the need to create yet
>> another
>> > > > > > distribution platform to update non official stable releases.
>> > > > > >
>> > > > > > Accordingly, for the sake of providing the best browser out
>> there for
>> > > > > IoT &
>> > > > > > DYI related projects, and for an officially declared LTS
>> platform as
>> > > the
>> > > > > > RPi3 is, I wonder if there is any interest in publishing these
>> > > "bricks"
>> > > > > as
>> > > > > > AUR aarch64 packages that will make the creation of anything Web
>> > > based
>> > > > > via
>> > > > > > ArchLinux finally a reality.
>> > > > >
>> > > > > I completely agree with you: having prebuilt packages (or images)
>> for
>> > > > > popular
>> > > > > platforms like the Raspberry Pi would definitely help people who
>> want
>> > > to
>> > > > > try
>> > > > > out things quickly and tinker with WPE WebKit. Having packages
>> readily
>> > > > > available for Raspbian (which is a very popular option) would be
>> great
>> > > as
>> > > > > well.
>> > > > >
>> > > > > One of my long term plans has been having ready-to-use images
>> built
>> > > using
>> > > > > Buildroot for the Raspberry Pi 3 built automatically for official
>> > > releases,
>> > > > > and maybe even some kind of “tech preview” monthly builds. Just
>> last
>> > > week
>> > > > > we got the base packages and Cog into the “next” branch [3], so
>> > > prebuilt
>> > > > > images are getting closer to being a reality.
>> > > > >
>> > > > > > I'm here to help as I can or, if you can tell me how to build
>> from a
>> > > PC
>> > > > > all
>> > > > > > the needed parts using system libraries so that I can produce
>> such
>> > > > > > packages, I'd love to create rpi3-libwpe, rpi3-wpewebkit, and
>> > > > > > rpi3-wpebackend-fdo for the already awesome ArchLinuxARM
>> community.
>> > > > >
>> > > > > The main issue I see here is that in particular the “wpewebkit”
>> package
>> > > > > would take ages to build on the Raspberry Pi, and it could even be
>> > > that the
>> > > > > linker would fail due to running out of memory. Ideally one would
>> cross
>> > > > > compile from a powerful machine, which apparently is possible
>> using
>> > > distcc,
>> > > > > according to the Arch Linux ARM wiki [4]. That would still need a
>> > > “master”
>> > > > > ARM device to distribute compilation to other machine(s), and the
>> > > linker
>> > > > > would run on the master ARM device and running out of memory is
>> still a
>> > > > > possibility :-\
>> > > > >
>> > > > > Do you have any idea if cross compiling an Arch Linux package is
>> > > possible
>> > > > > without needing a “master” ARM device? That would be helpful.
>> > > > >
>> > > > > > Thank you in advance for any sort of outcome.
>> > > > > >
>> > > > > > [1] http://benja.io
>> > > > > > [2]
>> > > > >
>> > >
>> https://medium.com/@WebReflection/a-minimalistic-64-bit-web-kiosk-for-rpi-3-98e460419b47
>> > > > > > [3]
>> > > > >
>> > >
>> https://medium.com/@decrocksam/building-web-applications-for-wpe-webkit-using-node-js-3347146013f3
>> > > > >
>> > > > > I hope the above helps out a bit, at least to understand the
>> situation.
>> > > > >
>> > > > >
>> > > > > -Adrián
>> > > > >
>> > > > > ---
>> > > > > [1] https://github.com/Igalia/cog
>> > > > > [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cog/
>> > > > > [3] e.g.
>> > > https://git.busybox.net/buildroot/tree/package/wpewebkit?h=next
>> > > > > [4] https://archlinuxarm.org/wiki/Distcc_Cross-Compiling
>> > > > >
>> > > Non-text part: text/html
>> > >
>> Non-text part: text/html
>>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-wpe/attachments/20190306/9dc3b309/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the webkit-wpe mailing list