[wpe-webkit] WPEWebKit and Widevine

Charlie Turner cturner at igalia.com
Tue Jan 8 01:47:32 PST 2019

On Mon, 2019-01-07 at 20:29 +0000, Brandon Adkins wrote

> Ok, that is all super helpful. So when you say I need "third party libraries from the DRM provider", do you mean the
> libwidevinecdm.so library, or is there additional SDK code that I would get from Widevine that would come with my
> license?

There's both. The following repo is an example of interfacing with a licensed Widevine SDK:
https://github.com/WebPlatformForEmbedded/OCDM-Widevine

For the library version of Widevine, both Firefox and Kodi are examples of how to use that.

> Would it be possible to get a hint as to where in the WPEWebkit code it loads/interfaces with the third party
> libraries? I can work my way backwards from that starting point, but so far I have just not been able to find it.
>
> Thanks

https://github.com/WebPlatformForEmbedded/OCDM-Widevine is the glue code to a licensed Widevine SDK. From WebKit POV,
you'll  want to be looking at the derived CDMInstanceOpenCDM class in the WPEWebKit github account for guidance on how
WebKit connects to WPEFramework. WPEFramework in turn talks to the OCDM-Widevine plugin mentioned above.

HTH,
  Charlie.