[wpe-webkit] WPEWebKit and Widevine

Brandon Adkins badkins79 at msn.com
Mon Jan 7 12:29:34 PST 2019

On Sun, 2019-01-06 at 00:50 +0000, Brandon Adkins wrote:
>> I am using WebKitGTK to build a browser-based project that relies on an X11 backend. However, I need to also support
>> DRM media, like Spotify and Netflix. Descriptions online say that WPEWebKit can handle WideVine and DRM, but I am
>> having trouble understanding the project layouts.
>
>WPEWebKit has the skeleton code to support plugging in different DRM systems. Currently we know it can support PlayReady
>and Widevine, but obtaining those libraries / SDKs is the responsibility of the integrator due to licensing issues we
>have with these systems.

>> So why is there a different repository for WPEWebKit in github. And why does it have DRM support code that isn't in
>> the subversion repo used by WebKitGTK?

>This is due to some desync between the WPEWebKit on GitHub and the upstream repository that we are in the process of
>addressing. The one on GitHub is being used with an external system that integrates Widevine, whereas the one upstream
>is only used with ClearKey. The upstream can work with Widevine as well, but that code is not provided for reasons
>mostly due to licensing, and partly due to some desync.

>> If I took that additional DRM code from the github repo and added it to my WebKitGTK codebase from the subversion
>> repo, would my browser now support DRM?

>No, you would need third party libraries from the DRM provider for this to work. The code you see in these repos is just
>glue. But yes, if you already have a DRM library licensed for Widevine/PlayReady at least, it can be made to work inside
>WebKit.
>

>> If someone could just give me a quick rundown of this to point me in the right direction, it would be hugely helpful.
>>
>> Brandon

Ok, that is all super helpful. So when you say I need "third party libraries from the DRM provider", do you mean the libwidevinecdm.so library, or is there additional SDK code that I would get from Widevine that would come with my license?

Would it be possible to get a hint as to where in the WPEWebkit code it loads/interfaces with the third party libraries? I can work my way backwards from that starting point, but so far I have just not been able to find it.

Thanks