[wpe-webkit] WPEWebKit and Widevine

Charlie Turner cturner at igalia.com
Mon Jan 7 03:14:11 PST 2019

On Sun, 2019-01-06 at 00:50 +0000, Brandon Adkins wrote:
> I am using WebKitGTK to build a browser-based project that relies on an X11 backend. However, I need to also support
> DRM media, like Spotify and Netflix. Descriptions online say that WPEWebKit can handle WideVine and DRM, but I am
> having trouble understanding the project layouts.

WPEWebKit has the skeleton code to support plugging in different DRM systems. Currently we know it can support PlayReady
and Widevine, but obtaining those libraries / SDKs is the responsibility of the integrator due to licensing issues we
have with these systems.

> So why is there a different repository for WPEWebKit in github. And why does it have DRM support code that isn't in
> the subversion repo used by WebKitGTK?

This is due to some desync between the WPEWebKit on GitHub and the upstream repository that we are in the process of
addressing. The one on GitHub is being used with an external system that integrates Widevine, whereas the one upstream
is only used with ClearKey. The upstream can work with Widevine as well, but that code is not provided for reasons
mostly due to licensing, and partly due to some desync.

> If I took that additional DRM code from the github repo and added it to my WebKitGTK codebase from the subversion
> repo, would my browser now support DRM?

No, you would need third party libraries from the DRM provider for this to work. The code you see in these repos is just
glue. But yes, if you already have a DRM library licensed for Widevine/PlayReady at least, it can be made to work inside
WebKit.