[webkit-qt] how to shrink distribution, if possible?

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Sun Oct 27 04:46:42 PDT 2013

27.10.2013, 02:17, "Richard Gerd Kuesters" <richard at humantech.com.br>:
> Thanks again Konstantin!
>
> I think my best hope is based on what you glimpsed while pondering about SVG support on Webkit: compiling Qt submodules one by one, using the switches I might need and other that don't - doing so in a extreme fast machine (SSD raid and so on) with basic automatic functionality tests, could give me a very good result in a couple of days (using config parsing switches scripts). It would be awesome to provide a barely minimal and downsized package for mobile clients (which I'm now focused), as an example.
>
> One thing I was thinking: is there any ICU flag that I could disable during compiling that doesn't affect Webkit behaviours? I'm asking this because after (or even) webkit's own lib, ICU's the bigger one (~21Mb in Windows -- I'm still working to get it's release lib on mobile).

The largest thing in ICU is internationalization data. Depending on target audience of your application, you may want to remove data for some locales - look into ICU documentation how to prepare custom .dat file. There may also be kinds of data unused by WebKit - maybe currencies or timezones, though I don't know for sure.

BTW, QtWebKit 2.3 does not depend on ICU - you may want to use it, or forward-port code replacing ICU to your QtWebKit version.

Konstantin