[webkit-qt] Proposal: Qt 4 removal from trunk, Qt 5 changes

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 07:47:02 PDT 2012

On Friday 11 May 2012 15:59:13 Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 09, 2012 11:58:42 PM ext Andrea Diamantini wrote:

> > > I don't know. Wouldn't that make it much harder to maintain the other
> > > port?
> > > If we do this, we should make sure that it will not result in merge
> > > conflicts, otherwise we are just making the Qt4 port unmaintainable.
> > >
> > > Best regards.
> > > `Allan
> >
> > Yes, some doubt.
> > How can the Qt4 unofficial port continue to be synced with WebKit trunk if
> > you remove it?
>
> To some extend we've tried to keep the number #ifdefs between Qt 4 and Qt 5
> low by using separate files, for example FontQt4.cpp vs. FontQt.cpp. With
> that in mind I see two options:
>
>     (1) We keep the files around but don't touch them. Fixes to them happen
> in your branch.
>
>     (2) We remove the files and extra #ifdefs in trunk, you merge right then
> and revert that commit in your branch, to bring the files back.
>

> The third option is to forget this altogether and continue to maintain the
> Qt 4.8 build in trunk. It _is_ an option. I'm merely bringing this proposal
> up because your intend of maintaining a branch is an opportunity for us.
>

> Simon

Ok,
let's say it will be easier for you to remove Qt4 bits. I can live with that.
I will just stop merging back from master one commit before and then try to
cherry-pick webcore fixes.
Do you have an hypothetical data for this?

Andrea Diamantini, adjam

rekonq project
WEB: http://rekonq.kde.org
IRC: rekonq at freenode