[webkit-qt] Proposal: Qt 4 removal from trunk, Qt 5 changes

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at nokia.com
Fri May 11 06:59:13 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, May 09, 2012 11:58:42 PM ext Andrea Diamantini wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 May 2012 16:48:28 Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > On Wednesday 09 May 2012, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > After a few emails, let me formulate a concrete proposal:
> > >     (1) Andrea Diamantini maintains an up-to-date port of WebKit that
> > >     runs
> > >
> > > with Qt 4, on gitorious.org.
> > >
> > >     (2) End of May we remove Qt 4 code paths from WebKit trunk.
> >
> > I don't know. Wouldn't that make it much harder to maintain the other
> > port?
> > If we do this, we should make sure that it will not result in merge
> > conflicts, otherwise we are just making the Qt4 port unmaintainable.
> >
> > Best regards.
> > `Allan
>
> Yes, some doubt.
> How can the Qt4 unofficial port continue to be synced with WebKit trunk if
> you remove it?

To some extend we've tried to keep the number #ifdefs between Qt 4 and Qt 5
low by using separate files, for example FontQt4.cpp vs. FontQt.cpp. With that
in mind I see two options:

    (1) We keep the files around but don't touch them. Fixes to them happen in
your branch.

    (2) We remove the files and extra #ifdefs in trunk, you merge right then
and revert that commit in your branch, to bring the files back.

The third option is to forget this altogether and continue to maintain the Qt
4.8 build in trunk. It _is_ an option. I'm merely bringing this proposal up
because your intend of maintaining a branch is an opportunity for us.

Simon