[webkit-qt] Webkit and webkit2

Jocelyn Turcotte jocelyn.turcotte at nokia.com
Tue Jan 24 10:28:12 PST 2012

Hi Sylvain,

This might take some time, but we will eventually need some way to exchange data between wrapping applications and the web content.
It might not be as powerful as QWebElement was, but it should cover most use cases for those distributing and controlling both the web content and the wrapping C++/QML application.

See also No'am's post about the subject: http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/08/31/an-oldnew-approach-to-qtwebkit-hybrid/

I think that WebKit1 offers few advantages over WebKit2 as a platform web view, especially from a user experience and stability point of view. Of course there will always be cases where WebKit1 will feel more adapted, but we'd like to see the list of those cases to shrink over time as WebKit2's advantages start weighting more (especially with the Qt5 scene graph).

Having multi processes should bring only a reasonable overhead and, if this becomes a problem, we keep the possibility of working on getting the web "process" spawned in a thread instead.

I hope this clears it a bit,
Jocelyn