[webkit-qt] Webkit and webkit2

Sylvain Pointeau sylvain.pointeau at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 09:09:10 PST 2012

Dear webkit team,

I know that you are moving from single thread webkit1 to multi-processes
webkit2.
I also know that starting from webkit2 it will not be possible to query the
dom (like with QWebElement) etc
Also I know you are working hard to re-design those possibilities.

I understood that you are moving for a better user experience.

but recently using cocoa and objective-C, I also used their web view
component.
and it is based on webkit1. (but safari is based on webkit2)

I was wondering if it make sense to embed a multi-process webkit component
into an application that is not a browser?
will it be not too much resource demanding?
also clearly we loose the easy way it was to modify/query/etc the dom/others

Is webkit1 (not QtWebkit but webkit1) becoming deprecated soon?

I am not sure I understand the move to webkit2.... neither webkit2 in
general (for me much more for the browser implementers)

Best regards,
Sylvain