[webkit-qt] Webkit and webkit2

Sylvain Pointeau sylvain.pointeau at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 03:09:05 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Jocelyn Turcotte <
jocelyn.turcotte at nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi Sylvain,
>
> This might take some time, but we will eventually need some way to
> exchange data between wrapping applications and the web content.
> It might not be as powerful as QWebElement was, but it should cover most
> use cases for those distributing and controlling both the web content and
> the wrapping C++/QML application.
>
> See also No'am's post about the subject:
> http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/08/31/an-oldnew-approach-to-qtwebkit-hybrid/
>
> I think that WebKit1 offers few advantages over WebKit2 as a platform web
> view, especially from a user experience and stability point of view. Of
> course there will always be cases where WebKit1 will feel more adapted, but
> we'd like to see the list of those cases to shrink over time as WebKit2's
> advantages start weighting more (especially with the Qt5 scene graph).
>
> Having multi processes should bring only a reasonable overhead and, if
> this becomes a problem, we keep the possibility of working on getting the
> web "process" spawned in a thread instead.
>
> I hope this clears it a bit,
> Jocelyn

I am still not clear of the real benefit in case of embedding webkit2 in an
app.
Seems it is more efficient for the scene graph (of QML), but I do not know
why...

Also I am wondering why apple is keeping webkit1 as web view for
application if they use webkit2 for Safari.
Does it means they think that webkit1 is more suitable for normal apps?

Do you know if the development continues on webkit1? or if all development
are now on webkit2? (for webkit in general)

Best regards,
Sylvain