[webkit-qt] kde-qt-webkit

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 11:05:18 PDT 2012

On Wednesday 25 April 2012 11:08:22 Jesus Sanchez-Palencia wrote:
> Hi! It's always nice to see more and more stuff coming out of QtWebKit.
>
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Andrea Diamantini <adjam7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Given qtwebkit devs intention to no more develop the WebKit1 bits of the
> > qt
> > port and considering the needs of kde webkit browsers (you may know I'm
> > just developing one), I decided to try working a bit on it with some
> > minimal targets.
> > In my idea, kde-qt-webkit releases should be drop-in replacement for the
> > qtwebkit lib provided with qt 4.x, so that we can i.e. compile kdewebkit
> > against this new library without problems. In fact, no real kde
> > integration
> > will be provided (that is, kio and k- classes will continue living outside
> > webkit code). At least for the qt4/kde4 release cycle.
>
> I'm not a KDE contributor myself so I might be missing something here,
> but I don't get this. If you say we have no more intention to develop
> QtWebKit 1 and given that now Qt is under Open Governance, wouldn't
> the solution being you guys stepping in and working on QtWebKit 1
> trunk to get your patches upstream? In other words, why isn't KDE
> interested in developing QtWebKit 1 instead of forking it to something
> else?
>
> Cheers!
> jesus
>
> > Targets for this port are:
> >
> > - let the branch synced with svn webkit master.
> >
> > - merge Lindsay Mathieson work about spellcheck support
> >
> > - let html5 audio/video work as best as possible, eventually switching
> > back
> > to the phonon implementation (and that's because I cc'ed in this mail
> > Harald Sitter, actual phonon maintainer)
> >
> > - (eventually) let (kde-)-qt-webkit compile with cmake
> >
> > - fix some of the kdewebkit integration known issues pending like (and
> > here
> > is adawit cc):
> >
> > * [QtWebKit] Form completion like the one available in native Qt widgets
> > such
> >  as QLineEdit is missing due to lack of access to form elements.
> >  See http://webkit.org/b/36668.
> >
> > and so on
> >
> > - do some bugfixing and gain some webkit development experience.
> >
> > - backport at least one fix :)
> >

> > The idea is just to work on this until kde5 (whose release data is
> > probably
> > comparable with that of qt 5.1) and then decide again what to do
> > (basically
> > dropping out WebKit1 support and moving to qt5/webkit2 or continue this
> > experience becoming a "more official" full kde webkit port.
> >
> > Hints and comments are welcome.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrea Diamantini.

Hi Jesus,
I hope Pierre's reply explained enough my intentions. In general, I can just
add that I'm just one single contributor, actually. Maybe I'll have enough
karma to move the kde community to develop and support the "WebKit1" thingy
(inside the Open Governance or as new webkit port) , Or maybe I'll simply
abandon this git clone in one year and will move my browser's code to work
with qt5/webkit2.
For now, I can just ensure I will take care to send back every eventual bugfix
for the WebKit1 code.

Andrea Diamantini, adjam

rekonq project
WEB: http://rekonq.kde.org