[webkit-qt] Build Qt WebKit for Harmattan

Felipe Crochik felipe at crochik.com
Mon Apr 9 08:17:57 PDT 2012

Kenneth,
It would be great if I could use Qt5 libraries but if I do, I won't be able
to distribute my applications through Ovi until they become officially
supported by Nokia (what probably will never happen).
Isn't the code for this specialized version available anywhere? I assume it
depends on the devices' existing Qt 4.7.4 libraries so it proves it is
possible, right?

I am actually trying to figure out a workaround/fix for an issue with
adjusting the size of the QGraphicsView based on the mainframe size when
the mainframe size changes based on the window size. I just tried a simple
html page I created (http://www.crochik.com/webkit) on the grob browser and
it seems that it also has issues handling it. It sure does much better than
the WebView but still is not "accurate" or "defined". The interesting fact
is that I think it does work on symbian WebKit and used to work on
Harmattan before PR1.2 (I think based on other tests but haven't double
tested yet)

On my "half baked tests" on harmattan/grob browser it seems that the
behavior is completely inconsistent. In some cases it will actually work
just fine (a few times I loaded it on landscape mode). In others will
"almost" work where the div will end up with the right size but the "view"
will be much taller than the DIV (what it should not happen because the
div's height is based on the window). In some it seems that will enter the
"grow loop" but eventually will figure out to stop and will end up with a
view/DIV size that has not relation to the original window size.

I also created a very simple project using the WebView that will
demonstrate how it enters an endless loop when accessing the URL above. You
can download it from http://www.crochik.com/webview/resize.zip
I haven't tested this code on a Harmattan device before PR1.2 but I believe
based on other tests I ran that it would work. I also believe it will work
on Symbian (will try to test later today to be sure).

p.s. Firefox on Harmattan also has issues dealing with this page. It seems
to detect the "chicken/egg loop" and eventually settles down to a height
that it seems to be based on the actual screen height ( the final height is
different whether you are in portrait or landscape).

Felipe

Thanks,
Felipe