[webkit-qt] QtWebkit2.1 version number

Ademar Reis ademar.reis at openbossa.org
Wed Jan 5 07:49:26 PST 2011

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Ademar Reis <ademar.reis at openbossa.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Simon Hausmann
> <simon.hausmann at nokia.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, December 21, 2010 03:45:28 pm ext Ademar Reis wrote:

>>> Isn't it inconsistent to have the version set as 4.8.0, for example,
>>> if this is not the version included in Qt-4.8.0?
>>>
>>> Also, if a developer wants to identify which webkit he's using, he'll
>>> look at the soname of the library. If libQtWebKit-4.8.0 is actually
>>> qtwebkit-2.1 and libQtWebKit-4.9.0 is qtwebkit-2.2 but the latest
>>> version of Qt is, say, 4.7.2, he'll be *really* confuse. It'll be even
>>> worse in a few years after Qt-4.8 and Qt-4.9 are released.
>>>
>>> At least on linux, I would consider it messy to have the soname
>>> (technical version) not in sync with the release/documented version.
>>> It would be bad to have a "release numbers translation table", even
>>> worse to have versions resembling the original Qt versions.
>>
>> It's quite common that the soname is different from the documented project
>> version. KDE for example has been doing it for years with its libraries :)
>>
>> $ ls -ld /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.5.5.0
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2927384 2010-10-04 13:40 /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.5.5.0
>>
>> I'm running KDE 5! :)
>>
>> The package version however is correct:
>>
>> ii  libkdecore5                                         4:4.5.1-0ubuntu7
>> the KDE Platform Core Library
>>
>> (minus the epoch, but that's a different issue :)
>
> How cute and beautiful! (NOT!) :-)
>
> But well, if that's not considered a problem by you Qt guys, then I
> guess we just have to add a workaround on symbian and keep the
> versions as they are. Please make sure that every library which gets
> decoupled from Qt (my understanding is that QtWebKit is the first)
> follows the same policy.

Hi there.

This topic is actually open for discussion on this Qt modularization ticket:
http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-15971

Please follow the ticket and add comments there if you're interested
in this topic.

Cheers,
  - Ademar

--
Ademar de Souza Reis Jr. <ademar.reis at openbossa.org>
OpenBossa - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia