[webkit-qt] accelerated compositing

Benjamin Poulain benjamin.poulain at nokia.com
Fri Mar 19 05:18:29 PDT 2010

ext Antti Koivisto wrote:
> I think it should be enabled by default. It is a feature that requires
> special triggers (css transformations, animations) to get enabled so
> it won't affect most of the existing content. The only way we are
> going to find problems is by having people run it.

Since the benchmarks were not extended to test the feature, we don't
really have any idea of how better it perform.

I have run some of the benchmarks today with and without
AcceleratedCompositingEnabled and the result is rather disappointing.

With AcceleratedCompositingEnabled, the rendering is significantly
slower on the N900 (and the ram usage is higher).

There might be a problem with my methodology. I have attached a test
case were AcceleratedCompositingEnabled is slower, you can use the
regular benchmark tools with it.

 > Counter question: Does the non accelerated path have more/different
 > test coverage?

So far, the performance tools
(http://gitorious.org/qtwebkit/performance) have only covered the
non-accelerated path.