[webkit-qt] QtWebKit-2.2 branch is now open

Ademar Reis ademar.reis at openbossa.org
Thu Dec 16 14:40:47 PST 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Antonio Gomes <tonikitoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> You possibly had discussed that, but why not make 2.2 to be 2.1, since
> the later is not release yet.
>
> The real 2.2 could be based on trunk ...

Yep, that's a question a lot of people (including myself) ask or have
asked... Basically we should have in mind that QtWebKit versions 2.1
and 2.2 are intermediary releases, to answer specific needs on some
platforms.

The real next major version of QtWebKit will be (probably) 2.3.

By next major version I mean a version that is based on trunk and be
supported by Nokia on all platforms (and probably released as part of
Qt-4.8).

I know it's a bit frustrating, but looking at the bright side, at
least Nokia is being transparent about its releases and the
development process (even though it's... err... not a very good
process ATM). These versions could just be internal forks developed in
a cathedral mode and "dumped" on devices, but instead they're
developed in the open, with transparency via bugzilla, the wiki and
the buildbots.

Anyway... we could all pretend that 2.1 and 2.2 don't exist for
practial reasons and wait for the next supported version. My hope by
publishing reports and asking for feedback is that they're useful to
the community in general.

And believe me, we're having discussions on how to improve the
process. Your feedback - even your rage when mistakes are made ;-) is
very much welcome.

The plan is to eventually consolidate all needs from the different
platforms into a single qtwebkit release, but as you may have guessed
by now, that's no easy task...

Cheers,
   - Ademar

--
Ademar de Souza Reis Jr. <ademar.reis at openbossa.org>
OpenBossa - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia