[webkit-help] need help - run-webkit-app doesn't work for me

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Oct 11 15:56:33 PDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Sitao Yang <sitao_yang at apple.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I tried to test a WebKit app (written in Cocoa) using WebKit framework I
> built locally to verify a bug I reported earlier and was told that it has
> been fixed. For some reason it didn’t work. Here’s what I did.
>
> 1. Download the latest WebKit source code from
> git://git.webkit.org/WebKit.git (origin/master branch)
> 2. Check few files and confirm that the fix is included in the source code
> 3. Run build-webkit script to build WebKit framework, which is successful.
> 4. Run run-webkit-app with my WebKit app as the parameter
>
> I can still replicate the reported bug. I suspect that run-webkit-app is not
> using my locally built WebKit framework. I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. Is there a simply way to tell which WebKit framework my running WebKit
> app is linked to?

Open Activity Monitor, double click on your process, and open "Open
Files and Ports".  The locally built WebKit frameworks should show up
there.

> 2. If it turns out that it is still linked to the WebKit framework in
> /System/Libraries folder, how can I change it to link to my locally built
> WebKit framework?

I don't know which OS X / macOS you're using but perhaps you want to
take a look at https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebKitNightlyElCapWorkaround
and related pages.

- R. Niwa