[webkit-help] new to building on NetBSD

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Nov 20 12:53:46 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Tim Larson <Tim.Larson at proxibid.com>wrote:

>  > Maybe we could give you better answers if we understood your goals.
> > Generally, a new port is created when you want to target a novel
> > environment, such as a different UI Toolkit (WinAPI vs. Cocoa vs. Gtk+
> > vs. Qt vs. EFL vs, ???) or operating system (OS X vs. iOS vs. Linux vs.
> > Windows vs. Symbian vs. Android vs. ???)
>
> Really just curiosity. Based on comments so far, I probably am not ready
> to try creating a new port anyway. But the doco given (the aforementioned
> wiki page) doesn't really give enough information for a person to start
> trying to figure that out for himself.
>
> Say I did want to port to e.g. FLTK, where would I start? Assuming I knew
> that, then I dig in, start hacking, and a couple days/weeks in realize "wow
> this is a lot bigger than I expected" or "golly that wasn't too bad". But
> as it is, there's a heck of a lot of research to do before one could even
> start hacking, which might in itself be a put-off. About all I get from the
> "successful port" page is "get JSC and WC building, most of the files are
> in WebCore/platform". I'd think there should be more there, like "at a
> minimum, this means providing X, Y, and Z functionality - you'll most
> likely want to start with implementing all the stubs in foo.c and go from
> there".

I understand your frustration but the problem with providing such
documentation is that it can get outdated very quickly since we do a lot of
refactoring and change directory structures and the minimum API each port
must provide quite often.

Having said that, please feel free to add things you learned to the wiki
page.

- R. Niwa