[webkit-help] new to building on NetBSD

Tim Larson Tim.Larson at proxibid.com
Tue Nov 20 12:29:52 PST 2012

> Maybe we could give you better answers if we understood your goals.
> Generally, a new port is created when you want to target a novel
> environment, such as a different UI Toolkit (WinAPI vs. Cocoa vs. Gtk+
> vs. Qt vs. EFL vs, ???) or operating system (OS X vs. iOS vs. Linux vs.
> Windows vs. Symbian vs. Android vs. ???)

Really just curiosity. Based on comments so far, I probably am not ready to try creating a new port anyway. But the doco given (the aforementioned wiki page) doesn't really give enough information for a person to start trying to figure that out for himself.

Say I did want to port to e.g. FLTK, where would I start? Assuming I knew that, then I dig in, start hacking, and a couple days/weeks in realize "wow this is a lot bigger than I expected" or "golly that wasn't too bad". But as it is, there's a heck of a lot of research to do before one could even start hacking, which might in itself be a put-off. About all I get from the "successful port" page is "get JSC and WC building, most of the files are in WebCore/platform". I'd think there should be more there, like "at a minimum, this means providing X, Y, and Z functionality - you'll most likely want to start with implementing all the stubs in foo.c and go from there".

My experience in projects this size is pretty limited, so I don't know what exactly I was expecting/hoping to see, just the sense that it was more than what's there.

Thanks,
Tim
--

Tim Larson
Software Engineer
e: Tim.Larson at proxibid.com
p: 877-505-7770
d: 402-505-7770

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify by return email. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Warning: Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, no assurance or warranty is given that this email and any attachments are free of viruses.