[webkit-help] new to building on NetBSD

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:32:42 PST 2012

Hi Tim,

On Nov 20, 2012, at 5:54 AM, Tim Larson <Tim.Larson at proxibid.com> wrote:

> > Typically, creating a new port is a full time job for a senior-level
> > software engineer so unless you're doing this as a full time job, I
> > highly recommend using an existing port.
>
> I guess I was asking mostly out of curiosity. I did see that wiki page, but it didn't seem to tell prospective porters a whole lot about where to start. It seems assumed that someone new is going to read the entire codebase and figure std. lib everything out themselves.

Maybe we could give you better answers if we understood your goals. Generally, a new port is created when you want to target a novel environment, such as a different UI Toolkit (WinAPI vs. Cocoa vs. Gtk+ vs. Qt vs. EFL vs, ???) or operating system (OS X vs. iOS vs. Linux vs. Windows vs. Symbian vs. Android vs. ???)

A straight BSD port seems like it would basically be getting the existing Gtk+ port to build on your BSD variant. There might be some minor build errors due to differences in the C std. Lib. Functions, but not much else.

Step one seems like running the regular Gtk build and see what breaks. Most if the differences should be covered by the existing autoconf scripts. Whatever you find that breaks is probably a good thing to fix in general.

-Brent