[webkit-help] JSC Redistribution and Lite VS version

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 21:18:02 PST 2012

Hi Brian,

On Jan 23, 2012, at 6:16 AM, Brian Barnes wrote:

> It'd be nice to have a compiler flag where I could remove the need for unicode.  I know there is one for unicode sorting, but without being able to compile the code myself I can test how well this changes things, which is why right now I'm learning my way through the code so I can better understand this and compile everything myself.

I know at least one WinCairo user is working with TextCodeWinCE stuff as the basis for an ICU-free build.  I don't know how well this has worked in practice.

> Also not sure why pthread is needed, as I'd assume all threading was within WebKit itself.

WebKit actually relies on the pthread DLL pretty heavily.  There is some kind of TLS issue that is much easier to clean up via the pthreads DLL as the load/unload logic can be used to ensure that each thread cleans up properly at termination.  I've forgotten the details, but the long and short of it is that WebKit uses pthreads even more heavily now that in the past, and that will not likely change.

-Brent