[webkit-help] Video Buffer

Julien Chaffraix julien.chaffraix at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 08:55:45 PST 2011

Hi Bhavya,

> Thanks a lot again.I have a page which has a video specified like this:
> <object data=<video URL>/>

My understanding is that <object> content are handled by plugins. I
can't recall if the network operations go through WebKit. The decoding
logic being in the plugin itself, you don't have access to the decoded
frames.

The <object> tag is HTMLObjectElement so you can poke around to see if
you get some information. I haven't looked at this code in years but
there used to be some mechanism for WebKit to ask the browser if the
MIME type was known by any plugins. That could be a good way for you
to know which plugin is using it or hijack loading if possible.
FYI the plugin logic is in Sources/WebCore/plugins/.

> Now when the response is obtained the video content gets stored in a
> buffer.I am trying to find out where exactly the functionality for storing
> within the buffer is present.

If the plugin reuse WebKit's loading mechanism, you should be able to
accessed the buffer. If not, I don't think you have an option to get
that using NPAPI.

Hope it helps,
Julien