[webkit-help] How to build Webkit with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition

Chaffraix, Julien julienc at quicinc.com
Tue Apr 6 19:38:36 PDT 2010

Hi,

You forgot to tell us which port of WebKit you are building so I am assuming it is the Apple's win port.

> I'm getting started with building WebKit using Visual C++ 2005 Express edition.
> I've done the following:-
> 00. installed Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.
> 01. Applied the windows XP security update for Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.
> 02. installed platform SDK.
> 03. using Cygwin's svn downloaded the latest source code for WebKit from the trunk
> 04. Run the update-webkit script

I guess you have been following the webkit.org website. The best way is just to continue this way.

> What else do i've to do going forward.
> Like :-
> 00. strip down WebKit of unnessary components

You can get the compile flags using 'WebKitTools/Scripts/build-webkit --help'

See http://webkit.org/building/build.html for the way to do so.

> 02. generate the executable

WebKit is a library to be embedded in an application. There is a very limited browser build-in to test WebKit: WinLauncher. You can find it in WebKitBuild/{Debug|Release}/bin.

> 03. Verify the build if it works.....

Use WinLauncher to do so.

> Let me know if there are links to these common questions/FAQ's that i can dwell on.

As mentioned, the webkit.org website should be your main reference. You may find some additional information on our wiki (http://trac.webkit.org/wiki). For the Apple's windows port, make sure you had a look at http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingOnWindows.

Regards,
Julien