[webkit-help] Flash/Flash Plugin functionality in WebKit (Linux)

Ariya Hidayat ariya.hidayat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 16:33:31 PDT 2009

> Maybe I'm missing it (most likey, since others seem to have it working) but
> I can't seem to find a/the way to get flash working in my C WebKit
> program(s).  There's no error being reported that I'm aware of, it's just
> simply not embedded into the rendered page at all.  I'm guessing that the
> necessary plugin is simply not being loaded whatsoever.  So my question to
> everyone here is: What is the proper way to get flash working in WebKit on
> Linux? Are there certain functions I have to call?  Command line arguments?
> Special locations for files?  Thanks in advance.

Please also read
https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-help/2009-August/000146.html
carefully first. Detailed information (port, compiler, platform, etc)
helps a lot, especially with plugins (32-bit and 64-bit can make a
huge difference).

At least on the Qt port, there are several plugin directories which
will be searched. Refer to http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/qtwebkit.html
for details.

Often you also need to "activate" the plugin support in the settings.
I assume you use webkit-gtk, so search for plugin-related settings in
its API.

You might also want to use your debugging skills to breakpoint and
trace the problem right from the plugin code in WebCore/plugins, for
example starting from the PluginDatabase class.

--
Ariya Hidayat
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ariyahidayat