[webkit-gtk] Any way to analyze memory usage?

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Tue Feb 5 07:52:53 PST 2019

Hello Brandon,

On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 07:53:01 +0100, Tomas Popela <tpopela at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 7:37 PM Brandon Adkins <Badkins79 at msn.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I want to do some digging to see what specifically is eating up all the
> > memory on these pages. Is there a way to find out how much of WebKit's
> > memory usage is made up of cache, graphics surfaces, etc?
> >

> If you use at least WebKitGTK+ 2.16 (you should), then please look at
> Carlos' blog post -
> https://blogs.igalia.com/carlosgc/2017/03/20/webkitgtk-2-16/ and the section
> about Debugging tools.

On top of Tomas' suggestion, you may be able to use the Web Inspector [1]
remotely, and if you are using WebKitGTK+ 2.20 or newer the “Layers” tab [2]
is a very handy tool to figure out how Web content is broken down into
graphics layers, their sizes, how much memory they take, and so on. This is
particularly handy to find out whether Web applications themselves are to
blame for high memory usage :)

Regards,

-Adrián

---