[webkit-gtk] Any way to analyze memory usage?

Brandon Adkins Badkins79 at msn.com
Tue Feb 5 12:09:41 PST 2019

>On top of Tomas' suggestion, you may be able to use the Web Inspector [1]
>remotely, and if you are using WebKitGTK+ 2.20 or newer the “Layers” tab [2]
>is a very handy tool to figure out how Web content is broken down into
>graphics layers, their sizes, how much memory they take, and so on. This is
>particularly handy to find out whether Web applications themselves are to
>blame for high memory usage :)

>Regards,
>-Adrián

Thanks Adrián and Tomas,
I am using 2.20 currently. I will check out the Layers tab to see if anything jumps out. But I am pretty sure it is just the website structure doing it, and not a bug in the browser. Since I don't control the websites in question, there isn't anything I can do to change the website structure to reduce memory.

Maybe a better question to ask, is if there are any settings I can use, compile-time or otherwise, that can reduce the memory used by WebKit? I already have the page cache disabled, which has helped alot. I also tried setting the option to put the browser into document viewer mode, but it almost seemed like it made it consume more memory.

For some page examples, Gmail and the Google Docs or Spreadsheets pages are among the worst for memory consumption.

Thanks again,
Brandon