[webkit-gtk] Support for PKCS11 / Smartcard?

Igor Korot ikorot01 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 09:37:24 PST 2018

For anybody interested:
On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 11:21 AM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at igalia.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 11:14 AM, Michael Catanzaro
> <mcatanzaro at igalia.com> wrote:
> > It would need to be investigated by a developer with a smartcard and
> > some interest in figuring out how it's supposed to work. You might
> > know more than me! Did any of that make sense?
>
> BTW to be clear:
>
>  * WebKit client auth is extremely likely to arrive sometime soonish.
> Shame it's not working quite yet.
>  * But once client auth is ready, smartcards may or may not work. No
> clue. There's a good chance they will, but it definitely won't be
> tested in WebKit, so maybe 50/50 odds, I really don't know.

Whether it is an external reader or the keyboard one the driver has to
be installed.
I know RHEL provides such a driver in their kernel/repository.

Then all you do is to append the certificate to the browser and when you access
secure site it will ask you to provide a PIN.

But as I said - the first thing is to have an appropriate driver.
And when you do - attach the reader and insert the card.

The driver should kick in, the light on the reader should start blinking and
there should appear a dialog about the card successfully read.

If that part works - then we should start checking the browser.

Thank you.