[webkit-gtk] Re: Crash on xLarge memory allocation with webkitgtk+ 2.8.3

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez clopez at igalia.com
Thu Jun 25 08:48:17 PDT 2015

On 24/06/15 18:05, Mario Sanchez Prada wrote:
> For some reason I yet have not identified, the call to
> tryAllocateXLarge() from bmalloc::Heap::allocateXLarge() is returning
> NULL while in the process of updating the tiles in the backing store,
> but I believe this should not cause an OOM so I'm a bit confused now.

2.8.X includes the bmalloc memory allocator by default, while on 2.6.X
the default allocator was tcmalloc (IIRC).

I have seen a similar behaviour, when bmalloc fails to allocate memory
it returns NULL and causes a crash on the webprocess.

You may want to try to build with -DUSE_SYSTEM_MALLOC=ON but I don't
think it will fix your problem. You will probably get an OOM situation
instead of a crash.