[webkit-gtk] webkit 2.8.3 load-failed

Joachim Schiele js at lastlog.de
Wed Jun 3 03:46:45 PDT 2015

On 03.06.2015 04:13, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-06-03 at 02:02 +0200, Joachim Schiele wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> i've packaged webkitgtk-2.8.3 for nixos and i'm using it with the
>> gowebkit2 from github.com/sourcegraph/go-webkit2
>>
>> gowebkit2 requires gojs and gotk3 where both of these pass their
>> respective go unit tests.
>>
>> === question ===
>>
>> i'm getting this error:
>>
>> [nix-shell:~/Desktop/projects/webloop]$ go run gowebkit2.go
>>
>> ** (gowebkit2:20348): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus
>> address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
>> org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
>>
>> ** (WebKitWebProcess:20355): WARNING **: Error retrieving
>> accessibility
>> bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
>> org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
>> Load finished.
>> Title: "Index of /"
>> URI: http://localhost/
>
> Hi, what exactly is the problem? The subject line of your email says
> load-failed, and your test code prints "Load failed" if the load fails,
> but your example here prints "Load finished" -- so the load completed
> successfully. What exactly were you expecting to happen
> differently?

sorry, took me a while to figure:
- if i query from lastlog.de i get load-failed and
- from localhost i don't get load-failed

probably a timing issue. i've also rearranged the source code another
time. anyway, the core problem with load-failed seems to be the local
vs. remote target's runtime.

> If you are concerned about the accessibility error, you are missing at
> -spi2-core.

but this 'accessibility errors' are not really error messages related to
my problems of:
- load-failed and
- the webpage not being queried

correct?

>> === my configuration: ===
>>
>> Build configuration:
>>  Enable debugging (slow)                                  : no
>>  Compile with debug symbols (slow)                        : no
>>  Enable GCC build optimization                            : yes
>>  Code coverage support                                    : no
>>  Optimized memory allocator                               : yes
>>  Accelerated rendering backend                            : OpenGL
>> (gl,
>> egl, glx)
>>  Geolocation backend                                      : none
>>
>> Features:
>> =======
>>  WebKit1 support                                          : yes
>>  WebKit2 support                                          : yes
>>  Accelerated Compositing                                  : yes
>>  Accelerated 2D canvas                                    : yes
>>  Battery API support                                      : no
>>  Gamepad support                                          : no
>>  Geolocation support                                      : no
>>  HTML5 video element support                              : yes
>>  JIT compilation                                          : auto
>>  FTL JIT compilation                                      : no
>>  Opcode stats                                             : no
>>  SVG fonts support                                        : yes
>>  SVG support                                              : yes
>>  Spellcheck support                                       : yes
>>  Credential storage support                               : yes
>>  Web Audio support                                        : yes
>>  WebGL                                                    : yes
>>
>> GTK+ configuration:
>>  GTK+ version                                             : 3.0
>>  GDK targets                                              : x11,
>> wayland
>>  Introspection support                                    : yes
>>  Generate documentation                                   : no
>
> The subject line of your email says you're using 2.8.3, but this is the
> Autotools configuration that was removed after 2.4, so you must be
> using 2.4 or below. Another hint is that you built with WebKit1
> support, which was also removed after 2.4. So it would be good to
> figure out what version you are really using.

you are correct in the observation that there is something odd going on.
the problem was that i built gojs with the old version and other parts
with the new version so i was mixing webkitgtk 2.4 with webkitgtk 2.8.3
which is a bad thing to do!

thanks for pointing that out! i'm fixing this right now but now i'm
facing a problem i had some time ago:

1 joachim at lenovo-t530 ~/Desktop/projects/webloop % nix-shell -I
nixpkgs=$NIXPKGS default.nix
these derivations will be built:
  /nix/store/md4aiv0vdzqfaynvy42lnb3mjgzl06wb-go1.4-gojs-80bdfa8.drv
  /nix/store/fr61345jlb88kcj5hymkgirvz83hapc1-go1.4-gowebkit2-22d8960.drv
building path(s)
‘/nix/store/b3xsvrf443xvcm1f3cy2rsag5j6q421y-go1.4-gojs-80bdfa8’
unpacking sources
unpacking source archive
/nix/store/z47bi1667992b61mg15wjqms7gwga5b7-gojs-80bdfa8b7d0a0c118220bece71083f2527e7bbc4-src
source root is gojs-80bdfa8b7d0a0c118220bece71083f2527e7bbc4-src
patching sources
configuring
building
github.com/sqs/gojs
# pkg-config --cflags javascriptcoregtk-3.0
Package javascriptcoregtk-3.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `javascriptcoregtk-3.0.pc'
No package 'javascriptcoregtk-3.0' found
pkg-config: exit status 1
builder for
‘/nix/store/md4aiv0vdzqfaynvy42lnb3mjgzl06wb-go1.4-gojs-80bdfa8.drv’
failed with exit code 1

but the webkitgtk-2.8.3 only features libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so:

1 joachim at lenovo-t530 ~/Desktop/projects/webloop % find
/nix/store/hawirs58pp8l2zpqkmcnzgzfal7kvi82-webkitgtk-2.8.3 | grep javascrip
/nix/store/hawirs58pp8l2zpqkmcnzgzfal7kvi82-webkitgtk-2.8.3/lib/libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so
/nix/store/hawirs58pp8l2zpqkmcnzgzfal7kvi82-webkitgtk-2.8.3/lib/pkgconfig/javascriptcoregtk-4.0.pc
/nix/store/hawirs58pp8l2zpqkmcnzgzfal7kvi82-webkitgtk-2.8.3/lib/libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so.18
/nix/store/hawirs58pp8l2zpqkmcnzgzfal7kvi82-webkitgtk-2.8.3/lib/libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so.18.1.10

any ideas on that?

> A quick check of go-webkit2 shows they use the webkit2gtk-3.0 API of
> version 2.4, which is very slightly different from the webkit2gtk-4.0
> API provided by 2.6 and newer. So I guess you are not using the version
> of WebKit that you think you have packaged after all.

this libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0 vs libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0 thingy is
probably the main problem i'm having here, gojs relies on 3.0 and 2.8.3
features 4.0

is that assumption correct?

thanks very much for your help, very much appreciated!