[webkit-gtk] Sensibly rendering HTML from JavaScript

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Sat Nov 1 11:14:52 PDT 2014

On Nov 1, 2014, at 11:02 AM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> The reference manual does not explicitly forbid doing so,
>
> Which suggests that you can understand if it did.
>
> It would seem strange to need javascript for desktop applications but is
> this just for proper desktop applications where the code is from a
> trusted filesystem?

GnuCash uses the JQPlot library (http://www.jqplot.com/) to render graphs for WebKit-displayed reports.

Also if one wants to include a scripting language in one’s desktop app and has to bundle WebKit for display purposes, why not use the included JavaScript interpreter instead of bloating your app even more with another interpreter? GnuCash uses Guile for historical reasons, but if we were making that design decision today might go with javascript instead.

Regards,
John Ralls