[webkit-gtk] How to build from release tar ball?

Niranjan Rao nhrdls at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 11:54:06 PDT 2013

I am definitely interested in building/trying out the new version. Any
help is greatly appreciated.

I got multiple responses, thanks for the responses. And yes, I had seen
the thread about bumping of the dependencies, but somehow was under
(wrong) impression that released version will have necessary
scripts/notes to build it.

 From external user's perspective who is not on the list, this may not a
good experience. You go to webkitgtk site, see new shiny release and you
have no information what this release depends upon or how to build it
and ultimately have to find out by trial and error.

I have one more very basic question. You can squarely blame it on my
lack of understanding.

On my machine I have following libraries installed.

libwebkitgtk-3.0-0, libwebkitgtk-1.0-0

How does the new release map onto above libraries? How do I know whether
I am using release 1 or 2 when it's available on various distributions.
Or does it use completely different names?

I work on a product which uses Webkit GTK version as one of the core
and have great respect for the team for the quality/complexity of the
product they are building.  I also know things are not always easy to
document. If it helps, I can volunteer some of my time for documenting
some this stuff if you are willing to accept my contributions. I can
definitely spare few hours a week contributing to webkit community in my
own small way.

Regards,

Niranjan