[webkit-gtk] webkitgtk-1.8.x and Java/Flash plugins

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed May 2 14:57:35 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Sergio Villar Senin <svillar at igalia.com> wrote:
> The plugins are run in a different process in WebKit2. WebKit1 is single
> process. WebKit2 experimental support was first shipped in 1.8 but take
> into account that the API is still under heavy development.

Thanks for the clarification. We are still using WebKit1 for now.
We'll move to WebKit2 when the new gobject bindings are complete and
when epiphany gets ported.

> If you want to use them with WebKit1 then you can try with nspluginwrapper.

This isn't working, unfortantely :(

I removed libflashplayer.so from the normal load paths, and then I
passed it to nspluginwrapper to be natively wrapped.
I also removed all other plugins just to be sure.

Then, it works in the GTK2 GtkLauncher, but fails in the GTK3 version:
only a blank space appears.
I'm confident that nspluginwrapper is being used, because in both
cases a process such as the following appears:

/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/npviewer.bin --plugin
/usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so --connection
/org/wrapper/NSPlugins/libflashplayer.so/27990-2/419068049

Do you have more specific instructions or any other ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel