[webkit-gtk] webkitgtk-1.8.x and Java/Flash plugins

Mario Sanchez Prada msanchez at igalia.com
Sat May 5 00:27:09 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 15:57 -0600, Daniel Drake wrote:
[...]
> This isn't working, unfortantely :(
>
> I removed libflashplayer.so from the normal load paths, and then I
> passed it to nspluginwrapper to be natively wrapped.
> I also removed all other plugins just to be sure.
>
> Then, it works in the GTK2 GtkLauncher, but fails in the GTK3 version:
> only a blank space appears.
> I'm confident that nspluginwrapper is being used, because in both
> cases a process such as the following appears:
>
> /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/npviewer.bin --plugin
> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so --connection
> /org/wrapper/NSPlugins/libflashplayer.so/27990-2/419068049
>
> Do you have more specific instructions or any other ideas?

I think nspluginwrapper is only useful to "run a plugin in a browser of
a different architecture" than the original one (32-bit), so my question
is, which arch are you using? If you're using a 32-bit OS I'm afraid
there's no much solution to your problem yet, at least not that I know
of (and I swear I've looked for it! :))

As they claim in the website[1], "it is most commonly used to run a
32-bit plugin built for x86 in a 64-bit browser built for x86-64, but
_other combinations_ are _possible with QEMU_"

Could this be the reason why it's not working to you yet?

My 2 cents,
Mario

[1] http://nspluginwrapper.org/why.html