[webkit-gtk] Cookies API in WebKit2

Carlos Garcia Campos cgarcia at igalia.com
Mon Mar 26 04:12:28 PDT 2012

El lun, 26-03-2012 a las 05:34 -0500, Marco Peereboom escribió:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:20:05AM +0200, Sergio Villar Senin wrote:
> > En 26/03/12 10:40, Carlos Garcia Campos escribiu:
> > > typedef enum { WEBKIT_COOKIE_STORAGE_TEXT,
> > > WEBKIT_COOKIE_STORAGE_SQLITE } WebKitCookieStorage;
> > >
> > > void webkit_cookie_manager_set_storage (WebKitCookieManager
> > > *cookie_manager, const gchar                  *storage_path,
> > > WebKitCookieStorage    storage);
> >
> > Do we really need this API?. I mean why a client would have to care
> > about this? I guess we should use the sqlite backend by default and
> > fallback to text storage if needed.
>
> I use this in my browser and even with webkit 1 API there is not enough
> granularity by farting directly with the libsoup cookie jar.  Taking
> away more features will make this only harder.  Currently I jump through
> some hoops to implement cookie whitelisting inside xxxterm.  I am
> thinking that webkit2 is going to take away this option completely
> without making direct changes to webkit and maintaining my own.

We are just discussing what to do at this moment, and nothing has been
decided. As I said, we can add custom API and IPC messages to get the
list of cookies if it's really needed.

> I honestly have been following the webkit2 API with some horror because
> it is giving me less control over fundamental pieces to implement
> privacy control features.  I fear that webkit2 is heading in the wrong
> direction regarding privacy protection.

In general we are just exposing in the API what the WebKit2 C API
provides, and in some cases we need to implement out own stuff, like for
the printing API. Please, file bug reports for the API you think is
missing regarding privacy control. We are still designing the API in the
end.

> FWIW,
> /marco

Thanks,