[webkit-gtk] Cookies API in WebKit2

Marco Peereboom slash at peereboom.us
Mon Mar 26 03:34:06 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:20:05AM +0200, Sergio Villar Senin wrote:
> En 26/03/12 10:40, Carlos Garcia Campos escribiu:
> > typedef enum { WEBKIT_COOKIE_STORAGE_TEXT,
> > WEBKIT_COOKIE_STORAGE_SQLITE } WebKitCookieStorage;
> >
> > void webkit_cookie_manager_set_storage (WebKitCookieManager
> > *cookie_manager, const gchar                  *storage_path,
> > WebKitCookieStorage    storage);
>
> Do we really need this API?. I mean why a client would have to care
> about this? I guess we should use the sqlite backend by default and
> fallback to text storage if needed.

I use this in my browser and even with webkit 1 API there is not enough
granularity by farting directly with the libsoup cookie jar.  Taking
away more features will make this only harder.  Currently I jump through
some hoops to implement cookie whitelisting inside xxxterm.  I am
thinking that webkit2 is going to take away this option completely
without making direct changes to webkit and maintaining my own.

I honestly have been following the webkit2 API with some horror because
it is giving me less control over fundamental pieces to implement
privacy control features.  I fear that webkit2 is heading in the wrong
direction regarding privacy protection.

FWIW,
/marco