[webkit-gtk] WebKitGTK+ 1.8.0 released
mrobinson at webkit.org
Tue Mar 27 20:49:50 PDT 2012
WebKitGTK+ 1.8.0 is available for download at:
GPG detached signature:
This is the first stable release in the 1.8 series.
What's new since the last WebKitGTK+ 1.6 release?
- Rendering and scrolling performance has improved significantly
with the addition of a backing store that makes scrolling
complicated pages such as the Facebook timeline much more
- The DFG ("data-flow graph") JIT has been activated for x86 and
- WebKitGTK+ 1.8.0 arrives with a preliminary implementation of a
WebKit2 API. WebKit2 is the next generation API for WebKit2 which
separates the rendering and UI of the engine into two processes.
This increases both responsiveness and security. WebKit2 is not
yet enabled by default and the API is still undergoing a lot of
changes, so it's not encouraged to ship WebKit2 applications yet.
We've also ported Devhelp to WebKit2 as a demonstration of the
current API. To enable WebKit2 configure with --enable-webkit2.
- WebGL is now built by default. WebGL allows embedding 3D
canvases into page content for the creation of powerful web
applications. Currently we only support GLX configurations, but
we're working hard on adding support for EGL and OpenGL ES.
Embedders must still explicitly enable WebGL via WebKitWebSettings.
- Experimental support for WebAudio is added, though does not build by
default. WebAudio is a new API for synthesizing and processing
audio signals. Enable it by configuring with --enable-web-audio.
- HTML5 history APIs are now fully supported. The history API allows
the page content to have greater control over the behavior of the
back and forward buttons, resulting in fewer hacks and a nicer
- Support for requestAnimationFrame and geolocation APIs are now
built by default. requestAnimationFrames allows page content to
produce smoother animations with less jitter, while geolocation
will allow web applications to show dynamic content based on
your physical location. Both of these features can be disabled
at run time and build time.
- New API additions:
* New signals to track resource loading:
* A fully functional favicon database which makes displaying page
icons in your interface a snap:
As with every release, the WebKitGTK+ developers have worked
diligently, shed sweat and tears, went to bed at 4AM to find and
eradicate bugs. As a result this release comes with hundreds of
crash and bug fixes.
What is WebKitGTK+?
WebKitGTK+ is the GNOME platform port of the WebKit rendering engine.
Offering WebKit's full functionality through a set of GObject-based
APIs, it is suitable for projects requiring any kind of web
integration, from hybrid HTML/CSS applications to full-fledged web
gtk+ >= 2.10
gail >= 1.8
glib >= 2.31.2
libsoup >= 188.8.131.52
cairo >= 1.10
libxml >= 2.6
fontconfig >= 2.4
FreeType2 >= 9.0
Depending on your configuration options WebKitGTK+ may also depend on:
gtk+ >= 3.0
gail >= 3.0
libxslt >= 1.1.7
SQLite >= 3.0
gstreamer >= 0.10
gstreamer-plugin-base >= 0.10.30
enchant >= 0.22
If you want to know more about the project or get in touch with us
- Visit our website at http://www.webkitgtk.org, or the upstream
site at http://www.webkit.org. People interested in contributing
should read: http://www.webkit.org/coding/contributing.html.
- Browse the bug list at http://bugs.webkit.org, WebKitGTK+ bugs are
typically prefixed by "[GTK]." A bug report with a minimal,
reproducible test case is often just as valuable as a patch.
- Join the #webkit and #webkitgtk+ IRC channels at irc.freenode.net.
- Subscribe to the WebKitGTK+ mailing list,
http://lists.webkit.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/webkit-gtk, or the
WebKit's development mailing list,
Thanks to all the contributors who made possible this release, they
are far too many to list!
The WebKitGTK+ team,
March 27, 2012
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 899 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the webkit-gtk