[webkit-gtk] New glib and soup for EWS

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Fri Jan 21 13:34:46 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 4:17 AM, Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns at gnome.org> wrote:
> So here's the deal: we believe we can live with just three build bots,
> and decomission the 64 bits release bot as a build bot instead of
> bringing him back to being a core builder. It's been stable for quite a
> while now, but it would be more useful as an EWS.
>
> I'm going to talk to wms about removing it from the master configuration
> today, and then I'll reuse the buildbot checkout as the EWS bot. Do I
> need to do anything special, or is it just running webkit-patch gtk-ews
> in a tight loop all that is needed? Is there some documentation I should
> take a look at first?

We don't have any documentation written up, but we probably should do
that.  We run most of the EWS bots out of git checkouts, so that's the
most well-tested configuration.  You'll want to configure that git
working copy to know the username and password of a bugs.webkit.org
account with the "edit bugs" permission.  If you create a new
bugs.webkit.org account for this purpose, someone on #webkit will be
able to give it the right permissions.

The way you configure the account information in git is by adding the
following lines to your ".git/config" file:

[bugzilla]
	username = foo at example.com
	password = xxxxx

As for running the bot, most folks use a wrapper script most or less
like this one:

http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Tools/EWSTools/start-queue.sh

Feel free to tweak the script if you like.  The wrapper script isn't
strictly necessary, but it makes the bot more stable because it cleans
out any junk in the working copy and effectively lets webkit-patch
autoupdate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  We can run multiple
instances of the gtk-ews in parallel, so I'll leave my instance
running until you're happy with your instance.  You an look at
http://queues.webkit.org/queue-status/gtk-ews to see how it working.
If you give it a new bot-id, we'll be able to distinguish between what
my instance is doing and what your instance is doing.

Adam