[webkit-efl] Moving the EFL WebKit2 public APIs to outside WebKit2 directory

Thiago Marcos P. Santos tmpsantos at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 09:31:41 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM, Dumez, Christophe
<christophe.dumez at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My understanding is that the point of getting port-specific patches reviewed
> by a WK2 owner was to make sure the patch is in accordance with direction
> WK2 in moving towards, and make sure the design does not negatively impact
> the rest of WK2 (e.g. Bypass C API and use C++ API directly, thus making
> changes to those C++ classes harder).
>
> As a consequence, I'm perplexed about moving our EFL WK2 API to a different
> folder. The code still relies on WK2 and may impact WK2 but we are moving it
> merely to avoid review restrictions? This seems to defeat the purpose.
>
> I was personally hoping we could make the new development process work or at
> least give it a try a while longer before making any drastic move.
> Of course, this may just be me being overly optimistic...

The EFL public API and unit tests has absolutely no impact on the
WebKit2 code overall. It is merely bindings on top of the C APIs. In
theory, it could be written as a separated library on top of a webkit2
library exposing the C APIs as public APIs. In fact, we should be
relying as much as possible on the raw C APIs, but I think this is a
topic for another thread.

I'm not proposing move the WebKit2 C APIs we contributed neither stop
contributing to WebKit2. I'm proposing to move only the EFL-specific
code and reduce the noise for the WebKit2 Owners, so they can focus on
reviewing shared code. It is a win-win I think.

Cheers,