[webkit-efl] Moving the EFL WebKit2 public APIs to outside WebKit2 directory

Dumez, Christophe christophe.dumez at intel.com
Mon Jan 21 09:16:02 PST 2013

Hi,

My understanding is that the point of getting port-specific patches
reviewed by a WK2 owner was to make sure the patch is in accordance with
direction WK2 in moving towards, and make sure the design does not
negatively impact the rest of WK2 (e.g. Bypass C API and use C++ API
directly, thus making changes to those C++ classes harder).

As a consequence, I'm perplexed about moving our EFL WK2 API to a different
folder. The code still relies on WK2 and may impact WK2 but we are moving
it merely to avoid review restrictions? This seems to defeat the purpose.

I was personally hoping we could make the new development process work or
at least give it a try a while longer before making any drastic move.
Of course, this may just be me being overly optimistic...

Kr,

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Thiago Marcos P. Santos <
tmpsantos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ewkitters,
>
> The recent changes on the reviewing policy for the code located inside
> Source/WebKit2 directory has been affecting the speed of how the EFL
> port moves forward. The additional burden for the WebKit2 Owners to
> review code from all the the ports has obviously its implications. We
> have red bots for days because of pending patches.
>
> We can minimize this overhead and let the WebKit2 Owners focus on
> reviewing the core components by moving the EFL WK2 public API and
> unit tests to outside the Source/WebKit2 directory. The best place I
> see would be Source/Platform/efl, which will be consistent with how
> the Chromium API files are placed inside the WebKit tree.
>
> This is the directory structure I'm proposing (using Chromium as role
> model):
>
> Source/WebKit2/UIProcess/API/efl/ (public headers) ->
> Source/Platform/efl/public
> Source/WebKit2/UIProcess/API/efl/ (the rest) -> Source/Platform/efl/src
>
> Note that we are initially moving _only_ the API and utests. Other
> things, which are probably 5% of what is left of EFL code, can be
> moved later if needed.
>
> Comments anyone? I'm volunteering myself for the task.
>
> Cheers,

Christophe Dumez, PhD
Linux Software Engineer
Intel Finland Oy - Open Source Technology Center