[webkit-dev] InjectedBundle deprecation

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Fri Aug 12 14:29:58 PDT 2022

On Fri, Aug 12 2022 at 01:40:02 PM -0700, Alex Christensen via
webkit-dev <webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:
> Would the maintainers of the GTK and WPE APIs be willing to assist in
> migrating from those APIs and designing replacements in the UI
> process?

Sigh... we'll need to discuss what to do. Unfortunately, these are
public APIs and this will be extremely disruptive. If it's needed for
site isolation, I don't see that we have much choice. But if we remove
these APIs, Linux distros will get stranded on the last version of
WebKit that still supports them and will be unable to take our further
updates.

Deprecation is a lot easier than removal. If we can keep deprecated
APIs working and just disable site isolation when they're used, that
would be much less disruptive.

Michael