[webkit-dev] InjectedBundle deprecation

Alex Christensen achristensen at apple.com
Fri Aug 12 13:40:02 PDT 2022

Hello WebKit developers! We are ramping up to do some serious work on Site Isolation which includes putting cross-origin iframes in a different process than the parent frame. Similar efforts have been done in other browser engines and some related work has already been done in WebKit, but not enough.

This will do strange things to the InjectedBundle APIs, which have fundamental assumptions that the whole DOM is in one process and that communication only happens with one process at a time. We have never exposed InjectedBundle APIs as public API, but some other distributors of WebKit have. As we make progress on this project, we anticipate that anything in Source/WebKit/WebProcess/InjectedBundle/API is subject to deprecation and removal.  This will also allow us to tighten the sandbox on the web process, resolve security and performance issues, and have cleaner code.

Would the maintainers of the GTK and WPE APIs be willing to assist in migrating from those APIs and designing replacements in the UI process?

Alex Christensen