[webkit-dev] Step 1 of Plugin removal: Deleting NPAPI (and thus Flash support)

Dean Jackson dino at apple.com
Sun Jan 12 10:30:04 PST 2020

Dear Non-Apple ports,

Running Flash has been more difficult over the past few years as part of a (semi-) coordinated effort by browsers and Adobe. The plan is to remove support for Flash + NPAPI by the end of this year. See the links below.

I'd like to remove our NPAPI code soon, but I want to make sure the other ports are ok with this. Please speak up if you have a reason to keep it in.

[Note that we will still have some plugin code e.g. our internal PDFPlugin, just no support for externally installed plugins]

Dean

* Adobe's end of life for Flash - https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/
* Chrome removing Flash support by end of 2020 - https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/flash-roadmap
* Google removing support for Flash by end of 2020 - https://www.blog.google/products/chrome/saying-goodbye-flash-chrome/