[webkit-dev] Step 1 of Plugin removal: Deleting NPAPI (and thus Flash support)
dino at apple.com
Sun Jan 12 10:30:04 PST 2020
Dear Non-Apple ports,
Running Flash has been more difficult over the past few years as part of a (semi-) coordinated effort by browsers and Adobe. The plan is to remove support for Flash + NPAPI by the end of this year. See the links below.
I'd like to remove our NPAPI code soon, but I want to make sure the other ports are ok with this. Please speak up if you have a reason to keep it in.
[Note that we will still have some plugin code e.g. our internal PDFPlugin, just no support for externally installed plugins]
* Adobe's end of life for Flash - https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/
* Chrome removing Flash support by end of 2020 - https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/flash-roadmap
* Google removing support for Flash by end of 2020 - https://www.blog.google/products/chrome/saying-goodbye-flash-chrome/
* Mozilla removing NPAPI by end of 2020 - https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Plugins/Roadmap
* Mozilla only uses NPAPI for Flash - https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/10/08/npapi-plugins-in-firefox/
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 3617 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the webkit-dev