[webkit-dev] Step 1 of Plugin removal: Deleting NPAPI (and thus Flash support)

Carlos Garcia Campos carlosgc at webkit.org
Mon Jan 13 01:14:44 PST 2020

El lun, 13-01-2020 a las 05:30 +1100, Dean Jackson escribió:
> Dear Non-Apple ports,
>
> Running Flash has been more difficult over the past few years as part
> of a (semi-) coordinated effort by browsers and Adobe. The plan is to
> remove support for Flash + NPAPI by the end of this year. See the
> links below.
>
> I'd like to remove our NPAPI code soon, but I want to make sure the
> other ports are ok with this. Please speak up if you have a reason to
> keep it in.

WPE has never supported NPAPI plugins and the GTK port removed the
support for GTK2 plugins (flash) already in our current stable version.
Plugins not using GTK at all (or using GTK3) are still supported by GTK
port (some of them only under X11, though). I'm ok with removing the
NPAPI plugins support in the GTk port, but we are at the end of the
release cycle, so I prefer if we remove the feature right after we
branch for the next stable version (scheduled for the 1st February). I
could even branch earlier if needed.

> [Note that we will still have some plugin code e.g. our internal
> PDFPlugin, just no support for externally installed plugins]
>
> Dean
>
> * Adobe's end of life for Flash -
> https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/
> * Chrome removing Flash support by end of 2020 -
> https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/flash-roadmap
> * Google removing support for Flash by end of 2020 -
> https://www.blog.google/products/chrome/saying-goodbye-flash-chrome/
> * Mozilla removing NPAPI by end of 2020 -
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Plugins/Roadmap
> * Mozilla only uses NPAPI for Flash -
> https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/10/08/npapi-plugins-in-firefox/

Thanks!