[webkit-dev] WebKit team feedback on proposal to limit registerProtocolHandler API to secure contexts?

Eric Lawrence elawrence at chromium.org
Wed Nov 20 09:12:42 PST 2019

The Blink team has requested that I inquire whether the WebKit team has a
point-of-view about the upcoming change to limit HTML's
registerProtocolHandler API to use from secure contexts:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/blink-dev/1AOWqzgFQiw.
This will disallow use of that API from non-secure (HTTP) contexts.

As I understand it, Safari does not implement the registerProtocolHandler
API. In the past, WebKit contained the IDL for the API in
(WebCore::NavigatorContentUtils::registerProtocolHandler),
but this was removed earlier this year:
https://trac.webkit.org/changeset/243433/webkit.

Would anyone from WebKit like to express support or objection to the Blink
I2I?