[webkit-dev] WebKit team feedback on proposal to limit registerProtocolHandler API to secure contexts?

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Nov 21 11:52:13 PST 2019

Hi Eric,

Thanks for asking for our input. I’ve discussed this with experts on this area at Apple. WebKit does not currently support `registerProtocolHander` and likely will not. It’s a powerful capability, and hard to use sensibly in practice (except perhaps the `mailto:` scheme in particular). Even opening a URL with a custom URL scheme is a dangerous powerful capability that we’ve gated with a permission in Safari (in addition to banning specific extra-dangerous schemes). Apple’s Universal Links and Android App Links seem like a better technical solution for links that link sometimes to websites and sometimes to native apps.

All that said, if `registerProtocolHandler` is implemented at all, it seems better to limit it to secure contexts. It might be worth reviewing what schemes get registered to see if it’s possible to limit to a very short known-safe list.

Regards,
Maciej