[webkit-dev] Standard process for exporting new WPT tests?

youenn fablet youennf at gmail.com
Thu May 24 12:40:11 PDT 2018

>> Ryosuke, correct me if I am wrong, I think you are pointing out the
>> following rule:
>> Changes to LayoutTests/imported/w3c/web-platform-tests tests should land
>> first in WPT repository, then in WebKit repository.
>>

> Oh, that is surprising.
>
> https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/10964 is a recent WebKit
> export, and https://trac.webkit.org/changeset/231788/webkit did modify
> the test in place. Do you mean that the WPT PR was merged first, or should
> be in general? Chromium and Gecko do it in the other order, and I'd be
> interested to understand the trade-offs of flipping the order.

Yep, WPT PR merged first, then WebKit patch landed.
It makes sure that whenever we are reimporting tests, we are not loosing
any WebKit specific change.
Conflict resolution also happens at a time the patch is being committed in
WebKit.
So far, I encountered very few conflicts.

Any process like this where changes end up in WebKit trunk via anything
> except a full WPT import will mean that divergence is possible. In
> Chromium, regular imports are the safeguard that will eventually resolve
> any issuesinvolves. In practice, much to my surprise, we've really never
> had something funny happen due to the temporary divergence the process
> involves.

Agreed that in practice this probably does not matter much.
There is work to allow easier WPT imports so that it can be done more
regularly in WebKit.