[webkit-dev] Standard process for exporting new WPT tests?

Philip Jägenstedt foolip at chromium.org
Thu May 24 23:51:18 PDT 2018

On Thu, May 24, 2018, 21:40 youenn fablet <youennf at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ryosuke, correct me if I am wrong, I think you are pointing out the
>>> following rule:
>>> Changes to LayoutTests/imported/w3c/web-platform-tests tests should land
>>> first in WPT repository, then in WebKit repository.
>>>

>> Oh, that is surprising.
>>
>> https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/10964 is a recent WebKit
>> export, and https://trac.webkit.org/changeset/231788/webkit did modify
>> the test in place. Do you mean that the WPT PR was merged first, or should
>> be in general? Chromium and Gecko do it in the other order, and I'd be
>> interested to understand the trade-offs of flipping the order.
>>

> Yep, WPT PR merged first, then WebKit patch landed.
> It makes sure that whenever we are reimporting tests, we are not loosing
> any WebKit specific change.
> Conflict resolution also happens at a time the patch is being committed in
> WebKit.
> So far, I encountered very few conflicts.

Interesting. What happens happens if the WebKit patch then fails to land in
WebKit, perhaps because some bot fails the test, a conflict, or anything
else? Is resolving that a manual affair?

When imports are automated and much more frequent, I take it the upside is
that you never need to reapply still-being-exported patches like we do in
Blink. But what about the above case, when the change hasn't been applied
in WebKit yet? Seems like the importer instead needs to *revert* the
in-flight change?