[webkit-dev] RFC: Removing feature flag defaults in build-webkit

Tim Horton timothy_horton at apple.com
Thu Sep 21 13:32:36 PDT 2017

> On Sep 21, 2017, at 13:25, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at igalia.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Tim Horton <timothy_horton at apple.com> wrote:
>> Sure. And someday I think we should go down that path, but generating the xcconfigs will be trickier (but also a positive because people already have trouble with them) because they involve more bizarre conditions. But not today.
>
> I strongly support removing FeatureList.pm since it's useless for keeping build definitions in sync between XCode and CMake, and it complicates things unnecessarily for both XCode and CMake.

I don’t intend to remove it entirely yet, because it enables the build-webkit arguments to enable/disable features, just the default values. But it’s a start.

> There is one very minor complication. GTK and WPE currently use the FeatureList.pm features as "developer features" since our bots all use the build-webkit script, so we have some features enabled there that we don't have enabled in WebKitFeatures.cmake. I think right now that is just MSE and WebRTC. This means that we'll need to adjust our buildbot configurations to manually enable these features at the same time that FeatureList.pm is removed to avoid breaking all these tests.

OK. Is that something that you could prepare a patch for? I think technically that could land before the FeatureList.pm change, right? That would be quite helpful.