[webkit-dev] Another WPT bite

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Thu May 11 23:35:59 PDT 2017

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:32 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 6:46 AM, Simon Fraser <simon.fraser at apple.com> wrote:
>> I was under the impression that tests upstreamed from vendor repositories would land in WPT tests
>> with minimal review, based on the fact that they had been reviewed when landed in the vendor repo.
>
> I think that's under the expectation that those reviewing WPT changes
> have some familiarity with the structure of WPT.
>

>> What's to stop 4 vendors from upstreaming similar but non-identical tests for a given feature?
>
> Usually when a new feature is in development developers from the
> various vendors use the relevant standards forum to coordinate on
> testing and avoid duplication.

Also, if someone is fixing a bug or implementing a feature with a new
test, and some other starts passing / failing, then the person would
be compelled to either modify the existing test or de-duplicating the
test.

We all have to be diligent in this regard but it's not much worse than
what we have to do in WebKit to avoid keep adding similar tests.

- R. Niwa