[webkit-dev] Another WPT bite

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Fri May 12 11:06:53 PDT 2017

> 9 мая 2017 г., в 11:27, Simon Fraser <simon.fraser at apple.com> написал(а):
>
> Another consideration here is "would my test be useful for other browser vendors". I don't think the answer is a unanimous "yes", so I think we should only use WPT for tests that will think are worth sharing.

Since imported WPT tests are very flaky, and are not necessarily written to defend against important regressions, investigating issues with them is relatively lower priority than investigating issues observed with WebKit tests. So I would recommend not mixing tests for WebKit regressions with WPT tests - if your test eventually ends up in LayoutTests/imported, it will become a lot less effective.

Using the complicated harness has a similar consequence - if you use any WPT goodies like templates or server side scripts, the cost of investigating issues on the test increases, and makes the test less valuable.

I don't know if there is any way to adopt WPT that won't make testing less effective. WPT tests may be useful in very rare cases, where we actively want to communicate certain subtle behavior details to other vendors - but even so, I imagine that other vendors may not put high priority on those, for the same reasons.

- Alexey