[webkit-dev] WebKit opengl

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Wed Aug 2 05:43:04 PDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at igalia.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 9:13 PM, Nagendra K <pingnagendra at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Dean,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> I actually have a embedded device with opengl es 1.1 and WebKit which is 7 years old, now requirement is to update the WebKit using the same opengles1.1 i.e. no option to update opengles1.1.
> So as you said we need opengles2 or opengl4 to upgrade WebKit as WebKit has dependencies with opengl for some features. Is this correct?
> Do I any other option to do this.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Nagendra
>

> Hi Nagendra,
>
> You are not going to get WebKit working with OpenGLES 1.1 unless you have an experienced engineer making large modifications to the source code. Instead, you should just turn off OpenGL/OpenGLES support. Just build with -DENABLE_OPENGL=OFF. It is optional, you just lose hardware acceleration. You should hopefully have no trouble with this.
>
> If you have a requirement to use OpenGLES regardless, then you may need to reevaluate the feasibility of your project.

Indeed... we did such port for a customer based on WebKit-EFL (now
out-of-tree) and it worked, but was a major pain to get there due
CoordinatedGraphics and TextureMapper being heavy on GL calls...
however in our case it was software rendering only, no GL at all.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems
MSN, GTalk, FaceTime: barbieri at gmail.com